The Miami Dolphins signed quarterback Chris Streveler on Tuesday.
With the Dolphins expected to move forward with Tua Tagovailoa as their starting quarterback heading into his third NFL season, Streveler could be put in position to compete with Jacoby Brissett or another quarterback for backup duties behind Tagovailoa. Brissett, Miami’s backup last year who started five games, is an unrestricted free agent this offseason.
Streveler has appeared in seven career games over the past two NFL seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, completing 17-of-25 passes for 141 yards and a touchdown.
He was waived by the Cardinals in November and finished out the 2021 season on the Baltimore Ravens’ practice squad.
Out of college at South Dakota, Streveler also spent two seasons in the Canadian Football League with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and was part of their 2019 Grey Cup championship team. Streveler, 27, originally attended Minnesota in college before transferring to South Dakota.
Flores lawsuit update
Former Dolphins coach Brian Flores and his lawyers are prepared to bring forth evidence in support of their claim that Dolphins owner Steve Ross offered Flores financial incentive to lose games if the NFL asks for it as part of its investigation.
“We definitely would share it with them,” said Doug Wigdor, one of Flores’ attorneys, to HBO’s “Real Sports” when asked if his team is willing to share that evidence with the league, separate from the lawsuit, in an interview airing Tuesday night.
As Flores also mentioned previously this week on the I Am Athlete podcast, which the South Florida Sun Sentinel participated in, he did not sign a non-disparagement agreement when he was fired by the Dolphins.
Signing the agreement would have guaranteed Flores the remaining money for the two years that were left on his contract, but he would’ve forfeited his ability to come forward with his accusations against the Dolphins in his wide-ranging lawsuit that alleges racial discrimination in the NFL’s hiring practices for prominent coaching roles.
The Dolphins released a statement Tuesday evening pushing back on Flores’ claims: “This latest assertion by Brian Flores that Steve Ross mentioned an NDA to him is categorically false. This just did not happen and we simply cannot understand why Brian continues this pattern of making unfounded statements that he knows are untrue. We are fully cooperating with the NFL investigation and look forward to all of the facts coming out which we are confident will prove that his claims are false and defamatory.”
After missing out on a head coaching job this hiring cycle, Flores landed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a senior defensive assistant/linebackers coach. He told HBO the opportunity developed quickly with the Steelers and coach Mike Tomlin. The two spoke Thursday, a little more on Friday, and Flores accepted the job on Friday evening, he said.
Flores also said he hasn’t spoken to New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, whose mistaken text message to Flores originally gave him the feeling the New York Giants were already set on hiring Brian Daboll instead of Flores, as he mentions in the lawsuit, since filing the suit.