The Windows 11 Article (Energy On Self-Test) system transpires swiftly for enhanced startup occasions, leaving minimal area to hit the selected set up important and accessibility the BIOS menu.
For that rationale, booting to BIOS in Home windows 11 is marginally different from past versions this sort of as Home windows 7. If you are asking yourself how to go about it, here is a limited guidebook for you.
But first things first…
BIOS vs. UEFI: What is actually the variance?
From time to time these two phrases are utilised interchangeably, but BIOS slightly differs from UEFI, and in brief it can be said UEFI is the evolution of what BIOS employed to do.
UEFI is an acronym for Unified Extensible Firmware, even though BIOS is Standard Enter Output Program. Both deliver related features though UEFI has much more modern day features these types of as GUID Partition Desk (GPT) and Protected Boot. Nonetheless, UEFI does not assist the more mature Grasp Boot History used by BIOS.
Hence to migrate from a legacy technique using MBR and BIOS to a UEFI-supported functioning process, the boot disk demands to be converted to GPT. In the situation of Windows 11, Safe Boot and Reliable System Module (TPM) also need to be enabled. In this post, we will refer to UEFI as BIOS considering the fact that they practically depict the identical matter and for the most aspect they’re applied interchangeably.
With that out of the way, let’s go back to how to obtain your BIOS configurations.
Accessing the BIOS
There are two methods to boot into BIOS in Home windows 11. One particular is as a result of the Home windows Settings and the other is to press down the Change essential even though clicking the restart button in the Get started menu.
Selection 1: From the Get started Menu
- Simply click the Windows Commence menu, then the Energy button.
- Whilst pressing down the Change crucial, click on the Restart button.
- This will consider you to the Home windows Troubleshooting selections, the place you can reboot to BIOS.
Option 2: From Windows Options
- You can entry Home windows Settings by correct clicking on the Commence Menu. Then navigate to the Method > Recovery part.
- In the Recovery configurations, less than the Innovative startup portion, click Restart now.
Navigating Windows’ sophisticated startup solutions
- Just after applying possibly of the two choices higher than, hold out for the loading display to full and then click on the Troubleshoot button.
- Faucet the Innovative Choices segment
- Then decide on UEFI Firmware Configurations for BIOS options
- The future monitor provides an choice to restart and obtain the BIOS set up page
On booting, you will be offered with your UEFI configurations.
Make sure you take note based on the unit producer, you might experience diverse alternatives from the ones detailed below.
BIOS presents entry to multiple reduced-stage settings to control hardware devices these kinds of as USB operation, boot priority, secure boot etcetera. Most modern day UEFI interfaces have built-in mouse input so that is much easier to navigate and decide on as a result of the distinctive options.